Boys will be boys

Posted by Trina Rae Tuesday, February 22, 2011

When Cole was very young, I read a book about the developmental differences between boys and girls.  It was an interesting read, but Cole was just too little for it have any relevancy, so I shelved it and unintentionally forgot about it.  Now, several years later, I have just finished reading it again; this time, with a very different perspective.  Turns out, a lot of what I viewed as Cole’s ‘craziness’ is really just classic ‘boy’.  This was never more apparent than when I took Franny and Cole to get haircuts last week. While Cole was waiting for Franny to finish, he quickly befriended another little boy who seemed to be about the same age.  They immediately synced and the way they played together seemed almost orchestrated.  Their motion, the way they approached the cars, took turns, and went from one car to another was just so similar that it was almost eerie.  They were definitely playing together, but they didn’t talk much.  They were almost one fluid motion.  I was quite fascinated watching them play, and it became very obvious to me that boys need to be around other boys.  They inherently have their own language and their own way of doing things.  According to my book, boys mellow out around age five.  I find that extremely difficult to imagine, but we’ll see…

 

IMG_1817

0 comments

Post a Comment