Snacks

Posted by Trina Rae Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It’s been three months now that I stopped buying crackers.  We were going through a huge carton of goldfish crackers nearly every week.  It became my first step to improve the way we eat as a family.  We weren’t eating poorly, but we really could do so much better.  I never said anything about my boycott of goldfish and other crackers, but just tried to redirect them into better, more healthful snacks.  Surprisingly, they haven’t even asked about them.  I try to have a couple of good options available, that they will like.  Most often, they like to make their own trail mix.  Franny puts together a great mix of cranberries, golden raisins, almonds, cashews, and sunflowers seeds, while Cole is a basic man, preferring just regular raisins and cashews.  Today, however, they chose mandarin oranges and pistachios for their snack.  They really liked pulling open the shells.  Cole had to work a little harder than Franny, but with some serious concentration, he did just fine.  He liked showing me the ones that were “all tucked in”, as he put it.  I must give them credit—they are adapting really well to all the incremental changes I have imposed on them.   It gives me hope that they will someday actually start eating dinner!

 

002

0 comments

Post a Comment