ABCs according to Cole

Posted by Trina Rae Monday, October 24, 2011

At the beginning of September, Cole began the Pre-Kindergarten program at his school.  According to his teachers, he is a bright student, an attentive listener, an enthusiastic participant in all the activities, and well liked by the other kids.  All these things have been wonderful to hear--I am thrilled that he has adjusted to a longer school week, as well as the more academic focus that this class has.  However, I was definitely concerned that Cole hasn't shown any progression in writing and really didn't have any interest in writing.  At home, we spend a lot time drawing and coloring pictures, and I thought that he would just naturally progress into writing, as Franny did.  Knowing the curriculum and expectations that Franny's school has for kindergartners, as summer came to an end and he wasn't doing any writing, my concern elevated.  So, I spoke with his teacher and she suggested doing some writing homework every week.  We immediately started doing nightly homework--just 15 minutes with Fridays and Saturdays off--practicing the letters that corresponded with their in-class phonics lesson. HIs improvement was rapid.  HIs lines have become very deliberate and much smoother.  When we turned in his B homework to the teacher the second week she was stunned and even asked me if he had done it himself.  I assured her that he definitely did!  I am so impressed with him.  He has very good work ethic and takes great pride in his printing.  While he practices he will say things to himself like Start at the top and go to the bottom and curve at the middle line and all the way down to the bottom line, as well as I want to do a good job and Can we show this to Mrs. P? He has really blown me away--I am so proud of him!  I don't know if he just needed a little encouragement or if he just realized it was time to do it, but he is definitely doing it!

 

IMG 3784

 

Homework--Day 1

IMG 3809

 

Homework--weeks 2-5

IMG 3810

 

0 comments

Post a Comment