The making of a masterpiece...by Cole

Posted by Trina Rae Friday, January 27, 2012

I know the kids love to paint.   But, it is one of the few activities that I just don't encourage at home.  Rationally, I do understand that paint is 99.9% washable and cleanable.  But, I can't get over feeling that I am watching a train wreck about to happen.  The globs of paint, the water, the mixing, the application of paint to the point that the paper is saturated where if it was allowed to dry it would become permanently adhered to the kitchen counter.  It makes my heart rate go up just thinking about it.

I've tried to get over it, because they love it.  I probably allowed them to paint 4-5 times last year (at home).  That's probably a 100% increase from the year before.  This year, however, I hope to do better.  I hope meaning that I will try.  But, my heart rate is going up as I am typing this.

Yesterday, Cole's school sent home their curriculum checklist/evaluation.  They wrote Cole really enjoys painting as an art activity, though he does end up with some everywhere.  

Exactly.

Fortunately, the alternative and solution is the wonderful My Masterpiece Studio.  They provide an incredible selection of art materials, and they deal with all the mess.  It was our week to pick a place for playgroup, so I picked this place just for Cole.  He loved it.  And, my heart rate remained steady.  His art is definitely his own.  He doesn't paint pictures, but he does put a lot of passion in his painting, and it's fun to watch him in action.

He did come home with paint on his shirt, pants, as well as in his hair.  But, that I can deal with.

I don't know if this really counts as a try, but it sure was a good time.  And, I do love what he created.







0 comments

Post a Comment