Sisters

Posted by Trina Rae Friday, January 27, 2012

Joy and pain.  Fire and ice.  Laughter and tears.  Franny and Delaney.  Sisterhood can be so complex.  I never thought that sisters age 6 and 2 could have such a dynamic relationship.  Franny and Cole have always been much more consistent--they've had their moments, but for the most part have just gotten along and had a good time.  Maybe Franny and Delaney are too much alike; maybe Franny's instinct to nurture is at odds with Delaney's desire to be independent; or maybe there is just an inherent tension between sisters.  

Or maybe they're just crazy.

Regardless, it's fascinating to watch the different relationships emerge between the three kids.  They are all so different.  Franny and Delaney already fight like teenagers.  I can't even begin to imagine what we are in store for when they actually become teenagers!  [shudder]  But, they do love each other just as intensely.  They love to chant S-O Sisters!  I don't know what this means.  They don't know what this means (I've asked).  but, Franny made it up, so now it is their mantra.

Did I mention the possibility that they are crazy?

I suppose that is really terrible for me to suggest.  Too often crazy is the default for different or passionate or anything else that we don't try hard enough to understand. Or, that which we can't accept that we will never understand. Franny and Delaney's relationship is their's alone to define.  I can't wait to see what they make of it.

I just hope it doesn't require a peace treaty in the process.






0 comments

Post a Comment