Down for the count

Posted by Trina Rae Wednesday, January 20, 2010

041

 

Although I accept the naps are pretty much over for Cole and Franny, I do have them take some quiet time alone in their rooms each day.  With Franny, this was an easy transition.  She always stayed in her room and spent her time without complaint—and, she still does.  Cole, however, is a much different story.  Most often he goes into Franny’s room, but he has wandered into Delaney’s room a couple of times; earlier this week he even headed downstairs to the playroom.  While I firmly believe that this is a very important time for them to rest and decompress, it is also important for me and for the same reasons.  To be continually regulating Cole and keeping him quiet since Delaney is napping during this time, is tedious, frustrating, and more exhausting then just having them up and playing downstairs.  This week, I finally hit my limit and realized that something had to change if we were ever going to return to the proper order of things, which I really need.  After corralling Cole back to his room a half a dozen times, I put a towel over his door and pulled it shut so he couldn’t open it.  I’ve done this for short periods before, but he screams so loud that I always open it back up so that he doesn’t wake up Delaney.  Although it is probably selfish, today I was willing to sacrifice her sleep to establish the limit and get some peace, even if it was accompanied by wails and door banging.  Fortunately, while all that did transpire, Delaney did not wake up.  And after 15 minutes, all was quiet.  The poor kid had crashed on the floor of his room.  He slept for nearly one wonderful hour.  And when he woke up, his door was open.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Labels