When safety is cute

Posted by Trina Rae Thursday, January 28, 2010

Getting from place to place with three children under five can be a significant challenge.  Most days, Cole and Franny are very good at walking close, holding hands, and looking for cars.  Other days, they will run in a parking lot, get to far from me, refuse to hold hands, or do some other random act that can compromise their safety. Since I have only two hands, there are times when I have felt extremely vulnerable with my ability to assure the kids’ safety.  Unfortunately, the margin of error is small and with little kids the variables are always changing; as a result, my strategies are always changing, as well. On the frequent occasions when Cole or Franny don’t want to hold hands, one thing that has worked well is for me to hold one hand and have the other hold onto Delaney’s carseat.  We’ve recently started to use the stroller, so I use this same approach with it.  Today, after a fun playgroup, when I told them to hold hands or hold onto the stroller, they each chose to hold Delaney’s hand to cross the parking lot.  I love moments like these—completely random, sweet exchanges that they come up with entirely on their own.  I had a very good day, but I think this was the highlight of it.

 

018

0 comments

Post a Comment

Labels